Sunday, September 03, 2006

Going Home



It's hard to believe that it's been over 8 years since I set foot in my home town. It's not that I meant to stay away or that I wanted to 'leave and never look back' but life just moved me in one direction while my 'home town' stayed in the other.

I guess it isn't really fair to call it my home town anymore either. Not a lick of my immediate family live there now. They've all moved to different places for one reason or another. My parents moved to Southern California before heading to the mid-east. My younger siblings followed suit while my older brother hopped into Utah first before heading to the Mid-East. So going 'home' to my 'home town' is more like hopping over to the nearest hotel and then figuring out my barrings from there.

I did make the decision to go back though and it was well worth it.

Visiting someplace that holds memories that date back to my earliest recollections is an open ticket for them to come to the forefront. Driving through streets and neighborhoods where I changed from a toddler, to a girl, to a teen, to a woman.... and then seeing people who were apart of those memories... it was just fun! So much has changed and yet so little....

It makes you wonder though, after all these years, if you really matter to those people. The ones who didn't keep in touch for one reason or another.... Yet here they are, happy to chat and visit. (Not that I can say I wasn't to blame for loosing touch since I too didn't keep it up!) I think it is fascinating to see where they have gone with their lives, what they are up too... but then I wonder, do they really care what I'm saying? I mean, is it a pleasantry to ask, "So what have you been doing since.... ?" Or when they ask it are they saying, "I wish we'd kept in touch." Or simply, "tell me how you are so I can ask again in 10 years."

Whether or not they intend to keep in touch really doesn't change the outcome of seeing them. It's nice to reconnect, even if it is for a brief moment.

Ahh me, going home. When will I do it again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home